Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) Program
The Immigrant & Multicultural Services Society (IMSS) of Prince George initiated the Settlement Workers in schools Program (SWIS) in April 2016. IMSS is proud to have a partnership with the School District (57) by providing settlement services. Settlement Workers in Schools Program (SWIS) provides direct and immediate professional assistance to newcomer students and their families adapt and integrate to Canadian life and education during their initial years in Canada.
SWIS program provide free assistance to immigrant, refugee and eligible temporary residents living in Prince George and neighbouring communities. The assistance would start after their arrival in Prince George and registration in the Public School.
Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) Program activities:
• Things Need to Learn About School System
• Cultural Awareness
• Bear Awareness
• Early Years Health Fair
• Prince George Downtown Tour
• Family Picnic/ Meet and Greet
• Information Session about Waste Management and Organic Gardening
• New Immigrant Student Orientation
• Celebrating Cultural Diversity Week
• Christmas Celebration
• Information Session about School Report Cards and BC Education System
(Video also available in different languages on YouTube like Arabic, Punjabi etc.)