Serving immigrants and newcomers in the ways they need, at the time they need.
We do this by:
- Assisting in the needs and promoting the welfare of immigrants;
- Coordinating with agencies serving immigrants in northern BC on issues such as employment, immigration, multiculturalism and racism;
- Encouraging immigrants to integrate into our community, and promoting cultural pluralism in northern BC;
- Assisting various ethnocultural groups and organizations to develop and preserve their cultural identities;
- Enlisting the active participation of citizens in the service of immigrants.
To build a healthy and just society that values Canada’s Cultural Diversity.
- We are all equal members of a just society
- We are stronger working together, respecting cultural diversity, and cherishing multiculturalism
- Canada welcomes, respects, and needs immigrants to achieve its goals
- Immigrants to Canada face systemic challenges and barriers
- Immigrants to Canada need services to reach their potential
The Society is comprised of a local membership of individuals and ethnic groups.
Representatives from ethnic organizations, similar clubs or organizations are welcome to join the Society.
The Board of Directors is elected from the members at the Annual General Meeting. Membership in the Society is open to all Canadian citizens, permanent residents and others with legal status in Canada regardless of their race,colour, religion, gender, or country of origin.
Strategic priorities for 2018 - 2021
Primary factors influencing IMSS strategic planning can be summarized as:
- Fiscal stability and the need for thoughtful risk management
- Trust and acceptance of immigrants, and of IMSS, in northern BC
- Organizational accountability and stability
- Continuing systemic barriers for immigrants and immigrant-serving organizations